Everyone needs to eat, right? No questions, no judgement—just food.
Simple Soup | Brown Bag Day
- Friday, Dec. 27, 2019
- 10:00 AM (food prep)
- 11:00 AM to Noon (give away)
- Meet at Friends Meeting House, 4312 Southeast Stark Street, Portland [MAP]
For our last Brown Bag day of 2019, we’ll just take kettles of steaming hot soup to offer to hungry folks on the street. We’ll also offer bread or rolls, a piece of fruit, and a sweet.
Feeding people is that simple and that vital: on this winter day, we’ll offer a simple meal of good hot soup and a hearty roll or chunk of bread, and maybe a piece of fruit or a brownie. All delivered one-to-one to folks on the streets.
So please join us! Volunteers needed! Let us know if you can help.
Please bring a half-gallon or a huge kettle of fresh hot soup to serve.* We’ll heat it at the Meeting House and transfer it into large thermoses, then go out in small teams to serve each person we meet. Living Earth will provide large paper serving cups and spoons and a hunk of bread or a roll.
(*Or bring several containers of your favorite, heart-warming, store-bought soup and we’ll heat it up. Or a few dozen homemade cookies or muffins, or pieces of fruit.)
The more volunteers we have, the more folks we can feed, under bridges, on street corners, and huddled in doorways. No experience is needed – just a caring heart and a couple of hours on Friday morning. And some soup!
WHAT WE DO:
Prepare food from 9:30–10:30 AM. Distribute from 10:30 to 12 noon. Every person will receive soup made with care and offered in kindness and solidarity.
Can’t make it Friday but want to help? Yes! Lots of ways to help. Contact us. If you have something to contribute, let us know and then drop it by the Meeting House between 8:00-9:00 AM, and we’ll take it from there.
Questions? Please get in touch!
On regular Brown Bag days, we provide meals for 100–150 people, all paid for by modest donations from everyday folks with big hearts. No deep pockets or corporate funding here.
- $5 ensures that someone gets a good filling meal that day, made with kindness and served with friendship.
- $15 = will help us provide 4 good lunches.
- $50 = 10-12 hearty lunches for folks in need.
Donate here to help purchase food and supplies for Brown Bags.
Or bring new socks, hats, and scarves for us to distribute as we offer food.
Or donate in-kind. Here’s what we need for Simple Soup Day:
- 10 Loaves of healthy, hearty bread or several dozen good rolls.
- Dozens of home-made or store-bought cookies, brownies, and muffins.
- Lots of homemade soup, to serve to folks living outdoors.
Give at any level that works for you. Whether you contribute time, funds, or food, you’re helping us reach people who need a hand getting good food, right where they are.
Other ways to help:
- Solicit food donations or grocery gift cards at markets where you shop.
- Ask friends or local businesses to support this project.
Every contribution makes a difference.