Bearing witness at Sheridan Federal Prison
Sat. August 25, 5:00-7:00 pm
SW Ballston Rd. near Hwy 18 in Sheridan, Oregon (link to directions below)
Bear witness for love and justice with us outside Sheridan Federal Prison, holding presence for 121 unjustly imprisoned immigration detainees, as well as refugees and asylum seekers everywhere. With compassion and clarity, we’ll hold space for all who suffer imprisonment and harsh conditions that oppress body, mind, and spirit in this chaotic time.
The men in the prison appreciate our presence outside, recognizing that we are there in solidarity. We’ll share simple silence, chanting, conversation, reflection, and music.
- Banners, prayer flags, colorful scarves and cloth with symbols of love, courage, strength and compassion.
- Musical instruments of any kind (we’ll have a harmonium there).
- 6′-8′ tall bamboo poles or wood stakes – we can’t hang anything on the razorwire fencing, so we’ll improvise with poles and the gnarled old apple trees.
- Blanket, cushion, or chair to sit on.
- Snacks as needed or to share, and water.
Bearing witness is not about conflict or opposition. It is a chance to hold presence for those in prison, to deepen our compassion as we witness our own hearts and our complicated inner responses to the injustice and oppression afflicting all who are enmeshed in this oppressive, fear-based system.
For more info, email us or message us from Living Earth’s Facebook page.
Directions to Southside Park.